introducing our sweet Little Prince, Huxley Otis Duncan

He finally arrived in our arms
January 14th, 2011 at 7:37 in the morning

Our hearts were stolen immediately that day
& here is our Story...

Thursday the 13th we went in for our 41 week appointment only to be disappointingly scheduled for an induction the following morning. We had really wanted to wait as long as safely & humanly possible.

I went home feeling defeated and was very upset. Wasn't feeling good either, and kept texting Matt to come home from work and be with me. I think Hux knew how sad I was about it because not two hours after our appointment my water broke! (I feel really blessed to have been able to experience this sensation naturally after reading how so many women have theirs broken for them.)

Three hours (and a large bowl of pre-ice-chip-diet cereal) later we were admitted into L & D. My contractions had already begun and were ramping up.

Matt and I put our preparation to use listening to The Beatles White Album, Louis Armstrong, & Otis Redding, slow dancing, kissing (ha, sounds too steamy for a labor!) we sprayed Lavender Essential Oils in the room, had the lights dimmed, took periodic strolls around the Maternity Ward and I also used my birthing ball.

They had to monitor me more closely since my waters had already broke. Contractions in the bed were unbearable. I kept trying to get up, sway my hips, anything to alleviate the aches.

Seven hours in there was no progress with my dilatation so I was given Pitocin. As soon as I was confined to the bed my Birth Plan changed drastically from wanting an all natural labor to just going with what my body was telling me...I took an epidural and am SO glad I did. The only thing unpleasant was the difficulty the had threading the needle with my scoliosis, and not having my Love by my side (they made Matt wait outside the room due to Father's fainting at the sight of the needle).

Matt got to sleep through the night while I did off & on, in complete bliss, just meditating on the almost arrival of our child.

Active labor began at 4am, it took me about 5 minutes of hollering at Matt from the bed to get him to wake up! He was amazing even half-asleep and was my rock throughout our delivery. At 6 am we were at 7cm, at 7am we were ready to start pushing....and boy were we.

I used a mirror, and could see Huxley's head of hair crowning after about 5 good pushes. The it was 'the changing of the guard' for the doctors and they were conversing when all of a sudden I had a huge urge to push & I knew Huxley was coming out...they weren't ready to catch and had me basically holding him in for what felt like a lifetime! I was in hysterics, and my body was in convulsions. It was only a matter of moments!

Finally, as they scrambled to suit up in 2 pushes his head was out, and then their voices were very urgent about the rest as Hux was hung up on my pelvic bone. One of the doctors (we got a 2 for one!) jumped on the bed and pushed down on my belly as I pushed with everything I had & then with a whoosh and the biggest feeling of relief out came our precious baby boy!

I had minimal tearing (without an episiotomy), and am feeling great now, aside from the huge hormonal flux.

Huxley took the most beating during delivery with a broken right clavicle and some bruising on his face, but if it hadn't have been for the doctor pushing down on me I think he would have been a C-Section baby.

Huxley is VERY well adjusted, took to nursing right away, and barely makes a fuss. He's perfect.

We had Huxley's Grandparent's from Michigan here with us taking very very good care of all of us. We've been sleeping amazingly.

Thank you for all of your support, we send nothing but good things.

our little Tribe

No comments: